Wednesday, November 10, 2004

VJs Tip Of The Day - November 10th 2004

Debugging mess due to Whidbey Beta 1

My first gift from Whidbey... I had installed Whidbey alpha on my machine which had VS.Net 2002... After installing alpha my VS.Net 2002 ASP.Net applications could not be debugged... I tried all possible things but could not get it working again... Finally when I had to work on my previous apps and had no option I thought it was alpha version issue and so uninstalled alpha and started carrying on...
Now I have installed Whidbey beta 1 refresh and just to add to my worst fears again my older VS.Net web apps could not be debugged... Interestingly this time I installed Whidbey on virtual pc still the problem comes...
Just for your information if I get debugging issues with VS.Net I first do all the below possible things:

-I make myself a member of Debugger Users and VS Developers...
-I registered ASP.Net of appropriate framework version by aspnet_regiis -I (found in ...\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\VERSION FOLDERS (e.g v1.1.4322) -I have my ASP.Net debug property set to be true in the project properties...
-I check my web config file settings too....
- I also try to manually attach the apnet_wp.exe to debug the app...
-I check my machine.config file and see if the processModel tag is enabled... (found in ...\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\VERSION FOLDERS\CONFIG) -I use the world famous ASP.Net version switcher utility made by Denis (http://www.vishaljoshi.blogspot.com/2004_04_01_vishaljoshi_archive.html)...
-I do the same stuff which ASP.Net version switcher does manually also...
-I also run dotnetfx.exe once again just to be sure...

If none of the above solves my problem, I try to assume that something else is wrong... Btw, finally for the above issue I was informed by Dr Colin Brown, MVP that this is a reported bug for Whidbey and probably next version (beta 2) should solve it...

But then these are the problems which you embrace when you embrace a new technology... :-)

PS: Even after all these things... Whidbey is a cool thing to start working on ASAP... :-)

No comments: