We recently released MS Web Deployment tool (msdeploy.exe)... This is really a very handy tool to manage migration and deployment for your IIS based applications and web servers...
At a very high level this tool can do one of the following things:
- Migrate IIS 6 applications & servers to IIS 7....
- Synchronize & take a snapshot you II6 or IIS7 web
- Analysis of installed IIS6 features
- Do whatif analysis of your product...
This tool can traverse through and take a snapshot of your IIS web or web server. While traversing this tool takes snapshots of following:
- Registry settings
- Directory & Files
- GAC Assemblies
- COM Objects
- Web, root web, app host & machine config
This information is then used to synchronize between servers... Interestingly I feel it is a great way to create a test or dev box snapshot... Well you can download and read lot more about the tool at the below email: